Friday, February 6, 2009

I seem to be getting better at this eurotrip style traveling. Either that or it is easier and easier the further west I go, where trains run on time and platforms are clearly marked. Getting to Munich was a breeze and I checked into the hostel no problem. It was a sunny day--huge difference from rainy Vienna--so I figured I better go enjoy it and soak up some much needed vitamin D. Wandering on my own without knowing anything about a city isn't really that entertaining though so I ducked into a department store just for fun. It seemed like a normal Sears type place, until I went to the top floor and was surrounded by traditional Bavarian clothing, lederhosen and all. It made me laugh, or at least I would have laughed had I wanted to frighten the shoppers around me.

I was getting hungry at this point and walked into a place called AliBaba and ordered a couple lamacun, the Turkish pizzas I was so fond of in Skopje. They helped dampen my longing for Macedonian food and as a bonus I got to watch the chef make another batch in front of me while I ate. Once I get a kitchen that'll be one of my first cooking experiments!

I was quite satisfied with myself at this point and was really thinking about going to bed when Hao, one of my roomies from Korea, suggested we go down to the hostel bar for a beer. I agreed because I figured I'd just have my one beer and go to bed nice and early. Wrong! Chatting with Hao and my other roomie Martin from Germany while drinking Augustiner beer turned out to be great fun and we ended up adding a couple Kiwi girls, a couple Canadian guys and another American to our drinking group as well. We stayed until closing, then proceeded to play a drinking game with the staff of the hostel, finally crawling upstairs to our nearby beds around 4am.

Luckily I didn't sleep in too late or else my friend Banta would have had to roll me out of bed to go out sightseeing. I met her at DePauw on the rugby team and since she is working in Garmisch at a German ski resort she took a train up to Munich to see me. It was a nice laid back day of walking around and eating sauerkraut, cappaccinos and cake, sausages of all sorts and, of course, more beer. I was sorry to see her off at the train station that night, but she convinced me (quite easily) to come down to Garmisch to visit before I left Germany. I spent a few minutes sorting out the details of that, then with plans to leave for Garmisch the next morning I went back down the the bar hoping to find my new friends.

Great success! They were all there and after happy hour was over at the hostel bar we took off towards the Hofbaunhaus, Munich's most famous beer hall. It was odd to be in a large group of English speaking people again and even though we were being such obvious tourists, I enjoyed the safe feeling of being with nice people. Everyone ordered one of the typical buckets of beer, one whole liter of happiness. We were a bit of a raucous group, clapping along with the band and banging on the table, but it was a good atmosphere and I don't think anyone around us minded. After our beers (some people had TWO!) a few split off to go back to the hostel and I was easily convinced by the Kiwis to accompany them to another bar. I didn't drink anymore there, already quite satisfied by the bucket earlier, but it was fun to chat with the bar tender and Moose, a guy from Oregon, while watching our new friend James fall asleep on one of the tables. We woke him up of course when we went back to our hostel, stopping for doner sandwiches on the way. Seriously, I will miss those kebab places so much... miles and miles better than Taco Bell.

Me and my giant beer

New friends, I will miss you!

James falling asleep, aww!

Thelma and I in a really cool stairwell

I didn't think I'd see anyone in the morning so I gave hugs and said my goodbyes in the bar. I just knew I'd pay for staying out so late again and sure enough in the morning my head was a congested balloon. I made a quick decision to sleep in and catch a later train to Garmisch which worked out nicely because I got to see most of my hostel friends again when I checked out. I scored travel karma points by helping Paul with his train tickets and hostel bookings, then ate my other kiwi while just chatting with these nice normal people. It was great to have two nights with them and the camaraderie of our group was a nice break from being on my own.

I'm off on my own again now, in Garmisch-Partenkirchner train station waiting for Banta to meet me. The views even just through the double doors of the station are incredible and I really wish I had time to get in a ski. I don't feel too bad anymore and I think if I keep drinking a ton of water and taking lots of vitamins, one night of good sleep will knock this cold out.

No comments: