Staying with Banta and Drew was such a good side trip. Banta picked me up at the station and on our walk to her place we bought some cheese, house salami and a pretzel bread baguette for a snack. Gotta love Germany! Banta is working at a US military run resort so I had to present my passport to enter the building complex where she lives. Her and Drew live in a building that used to be a hotel and, before that, a Nazi hospital so it had kind of an odd feel to it. It even has an underground passageway to the cemetery next to it, so maybe that was the source of the weird vibes. Banta's room was coziness in the midst of all this though, and I truly appreciated the fluffy comforter-topped bed made up just for me. She cooked a dinner of chicken pot pie and with poptarts in the morning I definitely felt right at home. Since the resort is US military, they get all sorts of things imported in from America like peanut butter and girl scout cookies. I didn't indulge in those things, but that's just because I forgot on my way out the door! :)
No worries because I got to Munchen Hbf with plenty of time to cross the street to the Montana Kebap place that the Texan recommended to our hostel group the night before last. I ordered another Doner Kebap and happily munched on that while watching people pass by in the station, listening to Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve and Viva la Vida by Coldplay. If you are wondering, these are great songs to listen to while watching crowds of people; I'm not really sure why.
The rest of Germany is blurring past now as I continue my way westward to Strasbourg. I'm meeting my friend Ashton at the train station there and spending the night with her host family. She is from DePauw as well, taking a semester off-campus and offered to show me the sights of Strasbourg if I stopped by. It just so happens that Strasbourg is right in between Munich and Paris, so it's almost like this stop was meant to be! I don't know much about the city though so I'm glad Ashton will be there.
No comments:
Post a Comment