Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My last day in Sydney. The last day and of course it became beautiful and sunny with not one sign of the raininess that had plagued my week long holiday here. So it goes.

I was sad to pack up my little nest in room three and say good-bye to the nice breezy balcony view. A couple American guys that had been staying in the hostel as long as I had took off in their rented van this morning with a chorus of goodbyes from the rooftop lounge. It seemed like everyone was leaving! I didn't want to spend the last bit of sunny Sydney in the hostel, no matter how home-y it was, so I headed out for the aquarium to check off another thing on my list: see Nemo.
A small child and Dugong

The aquarium was a great ending to my holiday. They were showing two of the world's four displayed Dugongs, those big creatures that sailors used to believe were mermaids. They didn't look much like mermaids to me while they swam above me in the glass encased tunnel, but their smiles were infectious and I left that display in a great mood. I spent the rest of my time sitting in front of the world's biggest Great Barrier Reef aquarium, just watching fish swimming by. Very therapeutic. Oh, I did see Nemo and his dad too! They've got a very convincing tank for them with an anemone that looks exactly like their home in the movie. I was impressed!

Nemo and his dad in their anemone

I trotted back to my hostel to say my brief goodbyes to my new friends and catch my shuttle to the airport. I got the front window seat and enjoyed the last warm breezes of Australia.

1 comment:

Michelle Simpson Photos said...

Hi Kasey! I'm excited to have found your blog...these pics are awesome! I love the bike ride! What a fun idea! And going to see Nemo sounds pretty awesome :D