Monday, March 2, 2009

We were dropped off as a big group at the airport on our last day in Rotarua and left to catch our flights down to Dunedin. I gave Joe, our Kiwi group leader, a hug goodbye because he was such a nice guy and we had some good conversations. Must check out the band he sings for... the missing peace.

The flights brought us from sunny, warm Rotorua to chillier Christchurch and then to very foggy, rainy Dunedin. That was somewhat of a disappointment. Still I was so excited to see my flat and find out who I was living with. The cabs dropped us off right at our doorsteps so I just had to lug my one backpack up a couple steps and fiddle with my keys.

My new home at 19 Montgomery Avenue

Oh my gosh, my flat is amazing. Wood floors throughout the whole place, a big kitchen that is open to the living room with TV and DVD player. And my room, oh wow. A double bed facing towards a wall dominated by three connected windows overlooking the road and a bit of the river beyond. I was so happy... so very happy to have my own space again after weeks of hostel life. It was so homey and felt so incredibly lived in, with books and other leftovers from previous occupants. This was overwhelming and I ran around looking in cupboards and drawers gleefully, finding everything from a heating pad for my bed to Christmas decorations and a Harry Potter predictions book.



My room, five minutes after I arrived. Also pictured is my constant companion on this adventure, my resilient backpack carrying all the things I never used. Must learn to pack lighter!


Had some problems registering for classes as I traveled to New Zealand on a visitors visa. Long story short, I had to apply for my visa which involved giving up my passport leaving me unable to register for classes, get my student ID card, sign on to the internet or go into bars (no ID) for the two week period while my visa application was being processed. Mucho lameness but I made the best of it. Since I couldn't register for classes with everyone else I was told to go directly to the professors in the departments to get classes approved, seemingly an inconvenience but since I love talking to my professors I didn't mind. In the end I ended up with two Marine Science classes: 201 The Marine Environment and 302: Biology and Behaviour of Marine Vertebrates. These will probably be pretty hard as I've never taken even a 100-level Marine Science course but I'm so excited for all the field trips on the boat! I'm also in an introductory Ecology course, helpful for the Marine Science classes as its a prerequisite for them, and an interdisciplinary course called The Environmental History of New Zealand. So not exactly the class schedule typical of a Computer Science major... but taking all these cool environmental/biology type courses is why I fought so hard to get my second major of Environmental Science approved and declared before I left on this year abroad.

No comments: