We spent the night at a hut that had a fireplace and smelled strongly of woodsmoke. I enjoyed this very much as smoke and camping have always been together in my memories, but Cleo seemed not to enjoy it as much. Breakfast was oatmeal and raisins then we packed up the car and took off to our starting location. George drove around and got lost several times but he seemed to not want any help so we all left him to it. By the time we got to the gravel road that started our track up the sun was already high in the sky. I will not go into details about the hike up because I seemed to have blocked out a lot of it. I was sadly out of shape after my two months or more of traveling and eating delicious food, my only exercise being the short sprints to catch buses or trains. I'm sure I slowed the group down some but luckily Cleo was on my side and didn't mind the extra opportunity for photos and rest while waiting for me to catch up. I had huge blisters on my feet by the time we got to our campsite and it was all I could do not to throw myself down on the ground and thank God I had made it that far.
These giant boulders were amazing. They looked like they had just fallen out of the sky onto these mountains, or were placed there by some giant. Some of them had holes in the tops that had caught rainwater, which was helpful as the nearest water source was a decent half hour walk away from our campsite.
We decided to make our camp right among the giant boulders with the absolutely stunning views of the mountains and valleys around us. The land dropped off dramatically right behind those boulders in the photo so you couldn't get away from those beautiful views.
On Sunday morning, though my muscles were telling me to stay in my sleeping bag and recover for the hike up to Eldrig and back down to the car, I followed Cleo outside in the morning to see the sunrise. The photo above shows our campsite and the mountains behind it bathed in the eerie first light.
There were some very inviting lakes in the leveled off area directly beneath the peak of Mt. Eldrig. The water was absolutely freezing but after gasping for breath after submerging myself, it was pleasant to feel my strained muscles cooling down.
No comments:
Post a Comment