Monday, May 25, 2009

I took my camera out on my last class trip for MARI 201 since we were on the boat again. We were studying light in the ocean so we took some measurements of light attenuation through the water column and other measurements of PAR and suspended organic matter and all those fun things. I didn't really get a clear view of how excited we all were about this but here is my class:

It's my smallest class here at Otago... a mere 13 or so of us on a good day. It's nice to have a small class to break up the giant lecture halls and multiple lab streams. We've gotten to know each other pretty well through the often unnecessarily long labs involving lots of downtime on the boat drinking tea. Sweet as.
This is the view of part of the Otago Harbour. They did a lot of whaling here so there are only the occasional sightings now. I didn't see any whales but I did see a seal and a little blue penguin. The penguin looked so funny swimming in the water... like a wounded or waterlogged bird paddling towards shore. They look so much more graceful below the surface!

I also had Deinda snap a photo of me in my fancy official Otago University lab coat. I was so excited when I learned that a lab coat was required in two of my classes! You don't really need protective gear when working with computers... except for pocket protectors! Ha! Anyways, this lab required safety glasses as well so look even more legit. Hurray for cool labs!

No comments: