Today was spent on a hunt for turkeys. Not in the literal sense of the word, because guns were not involved, however it was still quite an adventure running around to markets all around Paris only to find an intimidating display of half plucked turkeys that would surely not fit into the tiny oven, much less be done cooking before 10pm. So we decided to celebrate Thanksgiving with chicken instead, already cooked and delicious from the market. We brought it back to Sarah's place along with her friends Pierre, Davey, Randy and Gaetan. Dinner was perfect, accented with a glass of... yes, red wine. Oh! Davey, who is a chef, made dessert which was a truly fantastic Tiramisu that we ate at probably around 4am! I even offered to take the dishes into the kitchen to wash them so I could scrape out the last of that delicious-ness.
The English speaking is entertaining. There have been many hilarious moments of mixing up pronunciations and words and such, and of course I laugh at them but then I realize how ridiculous I must sound whenever I try to say anything. I know so little French, honestly... like three phrases. Apparently I have a good accent though, which I've been told after squeezing out a couple syllables of rehearsed French. Being with these guys and not being able to communicate with them has really woken me up to how important and amazing learning another language can be. Knowing only one language restricts you from knowing some of the most interesting people of this world, and I'm going to work on not letting that happen to me. Luckily I've been able to have decent conversations with all of these guys, even talking about our hopes and dreams for the future with Gaetan. Sometimes you don't even need to talk to communicate though, like teaching Davey to play a bit of Mad World by Gary Jules on the piano. These guys are all so sweet and I'm so happy I got to meet them!

No comments:
Post a Comment