Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Current Location: Bed - Wavell House - Aberdeen

Well, if you didn't figure it out from the photos... I've made it to Scotland!

I'm sitting on my bed right now, which isn't so bad even if I'm still getting used to the duvet and always wake up with it wrapped around me in some strange manner. It'd be nice if I could actually get some good sleep but what with the first-years running up and down the halls drunkenly yelling and other dumb people pulling the fire alarms, I haven't been getting much sleep. Perhaps once Freshers' Week is over, along with all the free drink promotions and such, things will calm down. I hope so, or else it's going to be a bit difficult to focus on studying!

Aberdeen is a really cool city and I've really settled in well. It's about a twenty minute walk into campus and then another ten or fifteen into the city center, but the walking is good exercise and I'd rather do that then spend money on taking the bus. I'll save that for cold, wintry days to come. And still, I'm looking forward to walking around the city when it's all snowy... but I can wait for that. A few more sunny days would be nice, especially if I can get out to the beach again. The beach is only a fifteen minute walk or so, and it's nice! I wasn't expecting sandy, white beaches in Scotland, but there is at least one. Thank goodness too because I'm tired of being landlocked.



I finally had my first meal at the cafeteria this evening. I went down with Lindsey and Amy who both live on my floor and it felt like freshman year all over again, sticking close to people you know so you don't have to sit by yourself at dinner! The food wasn't so bad except that I accidentally sprinkled sugar all over my pasta thinking it was Parmesan cheese. Oops! I just mixed it up into the tomato sauce and it tasted okay. The yogurt, juice and lemon meringue pie was good though so I won't be starving this semester. I'm quite happy to have guaranteed meals all the way to December... just in case I go broke, at least I'll still be fed two meals a day!

The Sport's Fayre is tomorrow as well as my advising appointment, so I don't plan on being out too late tonight. Must not get too carried away with running around campus.

No comments: