No worries about the freshman thing anymore. I love my floormates! I think it's better to be around first-years anyways because they are in the same situation as I am... just left home and don't know anyone yet, and really want to make friends! I've finally joined in on the fun! The group of us are really great too. There are four girls from my floor and probably around ten or twelve guys from the floor below us. I feel like I already know them really well even though I've only known them for a couple days and I'm still working on names. Thank goodness for them though, I feel very lucky to be running about Aberdeen with them!
So the other night when I said I'd be staying in... well that didn't happen! I was convinced (quite easily convinced) to go out to a club called Liquid that was having a beach themed party, with foam. Now that really didn't sound like something I would find fun or entertaining, but I figured I'd go for it anyways and give it a try. Ha, wow, it was crazy. The group of us from Wavell House got right in the middle of the dance floor and the foam was everywhere! It was very entertaining for awhile, kind of like playing in a blizzard, but once the music started to go downhill and my eyes were stinging from too much foam I decided to take off. Still, what a great first club experience! Wish I had pictures but I didn't want to ruin my camera.
I do, however, have a picture of half the Wavell House group at a different club called Priori... which happens to be in an old granite church right in the middle of Aberdeen. Interesting atmosphere to be sure. We're not the most photogenic group, but I love this picture!
I have a lot of trouble with Dan's name since Dan is said with an "ahh" sound like when the doctor tells you to open your mouth, instead of how I say it in my American accent. My accent has been made fun of a few times already, as well as words I use. I was made fun of for saying "pants" instead of "trousers" for awhile, since "pants" means underwear here. Also, apparently "faucet" is an unknown word but "tap" isn't. I'm getting some vocabulary straight but it's tricky since people are from all over the British Isles (Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland, England... we've got everything except Wales) and there are differences between them as well. I hope some of it sticks until I get back home and you'll be able to enjoy it too. I'm not asking people to repeat themselves as much either. Honestly, the accents are growing on me and I'm getting used to them. I know I'll miss them when I go back home though. I'm already sad about leaving, even though I've only been here two weeks. I just know these months are going to fly by. Luckily most of my friends are first-years so they will still be here for four years and I've already got another trip planned to come back.
No comments:
Post a Comment