Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tonga, Day Two

My tent! Right next to the woven palm fronds that were to replace the roof...

Sleeping in the tent was not the most comfortable experience but it was nice to fall asleep to the waves crashing. I was woken up when the sun hit my tent and made it into an uncomfortable oven, so I zipped out of there and joined the Auckland group at breakfast. It was a Sunday, a day of rest for all Tongans. On Taki's suggestion, a few of us were dropped off at the church in the village to attend the service. The singing was beautiful, loud and clear harmonization without hymnals and only slight direction. I couldn't understand the priest of course, since my Tongan is a bit rusty, but it was entertaining to watch the kids who were in the front pew giggling and sneaking glances at us.

Walking back from church, Stephanie and Bessie

At the end of the service we shook hands with the priests and all the more elderly and important attendees, then walked back to the Hideaway to enjoy our day of rest. I joined a few of the girls at the nearby beach and occupied myself with opening a coconut.

The coconut I found and opened and ate, great success

No comments: