Tonga, Last Day
I woke up earlier this morning because I was afraid it would start raining and I wanted to pack up a dry tent. After rolling it all up I discovered I had pitched my tent on top of a red ant nest. They hadn't been a problem, but it was creepy to find an entire network of new tunnels was built right underneath my foam mat.
Today was relaxed again with most people sleeping off the alcohol from the night before. I packed my bags early and then wandered around the Hideaway, soaking up the last of that unique place. A few of the boys were keen for some Coco Bocce so I joined them on the lawn. Coco Bocce is just like normal Bocce but played with dehusked coconuts and a tangerine as the marker. A few of the locals tried it out and I hope it sticks in Tonga. We played in teams with Nick and I winning over Pete and Ben, though it was close and we had major help with an excellent guest shot from Sifu, the main cook. The pigs who often got in the way and chased down the coco balls (food to them) were also on our side, nudging the opposing team's coconuts away from the target and generally causing mayhem.
In between games I ate my last delicious meal... fish and chips. The snapper was absolutely melt-in-your-mouth and the chips were made out of plantains, and also delicious. I will miss that food... Sifu is a great cook.
We played a few more rounds of Coco Bocce and then it was time for me to catch my flight so I said my goodbyes and was dropped off at the 'Eua airport with Stephanie who was on the same flight to NZ. Luckily the airport there is more like a bus stop because we were able to catch a few more minutes of sun on the grass in front of the landing strip while waiting for our plane.
Our flight was only ten minutes, the shortest commercial flight in the world. We caught a ride to the International Terminal with a Peace Corps guy who was on the flight with us. The terminal was eerily deserted and considering we had 9 hours to wait for our flight out we were none too excited. I attempted some studying, and we chatted with the two airport security officers but the time was creeping by so Steph called up Mana, the guy that transported their group to town when they had arrived. Mana picked us up and brought us to a nice cafe where Steph and I had dinner. We walked a ways down the road which had a surprising number of people wandering around on it, considering it was after 11pm. We met a couple rugby guys who were playing for the Tongan National team the next day and were giving out tickets to the game. Since we weren't going to be there, the guys asked for good luck hugs which we gave amid some giggles (it was just a ridiculous situation). Soon after that, Mana picked us up again and brought us to the kava circle he had been at. The two of us were placed at opposite ends of the room and I was set at the kava vat. I felt so comfortable this time since I knew the drill and I started dishing out the kava straight away to the astonishment of Sam, the guy sitting next to me, who said he had never seen a non-Tongan serve kava before. The partly broken coconut shell I had to use for serving was far more difficult than the ladle from the other night, but I soon got the hang of it. I only served myself one cup of kava, but with the music and singing I was soon having trouble keeping up with the conversation with Sam and just kept yawning. We left around 1:30 or so with Mana who dropped us at the airport only to find out that our flight was running an hour late. Steph and I contented ourselves with cup of noodles from the airport cafe (incidentally the most delicious instant noodles I've ever had, so spicy!) and were joined by Mana shortly afterward who was waiting for the incoming flight and more customers. The conversation was entertaining but I was fading fast and was happy when we were called into the waiting room, giving Mana hugs before we left.
Both Steph and I were pretty quiet while waiting. Even the oddness of an entire band playing some sort of anthem outside as the passengers disembarked did not phase us... though it must have been some sort of royalty returning to the island. Walking on the tarmac to the plane, breathing in the last of the warm Tongan air, I knew I was ready to settle into my seat, plug into an entertaining movie and reenter the First World.
No comments:
Post a Comment