Monday, October 20, 2008

Current Location: Bed - Wavell House - Aberdeen

Oooh, I hurt now. Since getting back from Ben Nevis I finally reconnected with the women's rugby team and that has occupied my free time pretty thoroughly. I've now been to a total of two practices and two matches... and with another match coming up this Wednesday it seems that I will be playing more than practicing. That's fine with me though, the playing time has taught me a lot more than drills ever will.

The first game was away against Dundee. I was a bit nervous since I hadn't been to a practice yet and just jumped at the chance to go with the team. As soon as I found out most of the girls had only been to one practice, and one hadn't been to any, I felt a lot better... except that meant our team was very inexperienced. I played as flanker in the scrum, a position I hadn't ever played before but it wasn't hard to pick up. Our team was clearly outmatched but we managed to hang on during the second half and at least hold them from scoring obscene amounts of tries. Later on at dinner I was awarded forward of the game for my team and had to drink my prize pint down right in front of the two teams. I actually finished mine unlike the other girls, and it definitely took the edge off of the pain in my right knee which was a bit swollen from falling on it over and over again.

I didn't have long to recooperate though because there was a Shire game a couple days later. See, there are two teams that I've played for: the University of Aberdeen team and the Aberdeenshire team. They train together and it's nice to be training with the experienced players but the older women can't play for the University team. I, however, get to play for both! More rugby for me! The Sunday Shire game was also away but in Edinburgh this time. Since we brought eighteen players I stayed off as a sub. It is maddening to sit on the sidelines during a game though, so even though it was terrible I was kind of happy that one of our players got hurt and I got to sub in right at the end of the first half. This was to be the Game of Many Positions as I started out as eight-man, moved to flanker before finally being set as a wing. I'm not completely happy playing as a back because you have to run a lot more and also sit around quite a bit, AND you don't get to be in the scrum. I still managed to get in a few rucks and tackles and had fun even though we lost this game as well. Honestly, the score never seems to matter much to me.

So my life has been rugby, rugby, class, rugby lately, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Got a home game against Glasgow with the University team this Wednesday, so wish me luck!

No comments: