Sunday, October 26, 2008

Current Location: Bed - Wavell House - Aberdeen

Another weekend come and gone. Even though it seemed like a relatively relaxing one, this Sunday morning still finds me exhausted and impatiently waiting for brunch to open at half eleven.

Thursday night with Morgan was great fun. We decided to go to the movies so bought our tickets for Burn After Reading, a Coen Brothers Film. Since we were early we walked around until we found some stone stairs overlooking the harbor. There we sat and ate bread with cheese and enjoyed a Fosters, still talking about Homer and traveling and how awesome Rick Steves is. The movie was really clever, I definitely recommend it.

On Friday morning Morgan checked out of his hostel in town and met me up at Hillhead to drop off his backpack. We headed out to the beach and spent an hour or two walking around and climbing on the old concrete buildings that were getting washed closer and closer to the ocean. The wind was strong but so was the sun, which equals a lovely Scottish day. I really need to take advantage of how close the beach is. We got lunch at The Bobbin and ate our delicious cheeseburgers while watching old Britney Spears' music videos. Morgan wanted to grab a present for his girlfriend Emmy, who was staying in London during his little sidetrip up here, so we headed downtown. Somehow the time was flying by as we were walking around because before I knew it we were back up at Hillhead. I got ready for rugby practice, Morgan packed his backpack up again and after three hugs from me he was off back to London to continue his Euro-trip. I'm so happy he came up so if anyone else out there wants to visit, do it!

Practice was hard but good, though I hate having to eat dinner before. Sprints are killer when you just ate a bunch of delicious chili and chips. Regardless, I still enjoyed myself. Training with older women has been a nice deviation from university training, and of course they are amazingly good. I didn't think I'd be up for anything once I got back to the dorms, but of course I had to accept the invitation to play beer pong with my American friends and new friend Stijn (pronounced "Stan", crazy I know!). I lost my game, but it was a close one and also a lovely reminder of good times at DePauw. We went to the Watering Hole after the games were over so the guys could continue to drink. I wasn't entirely happy being there since it was terribly stuffy and hot, but I'm happy I stayed because I ended up meeting a lot of new people. A bunch were Erasmus students, who are exchange students from elsewhere in Europe, and I wasn't so good at understanding them since some only spoke a little English mixed in with their Italian. Later though, I spotted Mya, a girl I just met who lives on the second floor of Wavell too. I joined her table and ended up discussing American politics for hours with her and Will, another Wavell-ite, and a couple other people whose names I do not remember. I finally pulled myself away from these new friends and went to bed around 3:30...

...only to wake up again at 6:30 for my History of Art trip. For added humor, I ran into Mya on my way down the stairs. She was just getting back! Needless to say, I was very jealous that she was going to be able to sleep in as late as she wanted... and I was already up and awake for the day. The trip wasn't so bad though, just a few hours of listening to people talk about paintings followed by a few hours of staring at paintings and trying to write notes that might be helpful for the essay I have to write. The weather was absolutely miserable though, with heavy rain blowing sideways as we ran for the bus home. I was completely exhausted by the time I got back to home sweet Wavell and decided to make a quiet night of it by watching Grey's Anatomy and Bridget Jones's Diary.

The two paintings I chose to compare/contrast for my first essay!

Titian (Tiziano Vecellio)
The Three Ages of Man

Lorenzo Lotto
The Virgin and Child with St Jerome, St Peter, St Francis and an Unidentified Female Saint


Now I'm awake... and still waiting for brunch! Gill just knocked on my door to go down for food, but thought it was ten to twelve instead of ten to eleven. Apparently there was a time change I didn't know about, but my lovely MacBook and iPod knew! No wonder I'm so hungry and woke up at nine without a single alarm. Guess that means nights are going to seem a lot longer and such. I wonder what rugby practice will be like in this new complete darkness... they are already dark enough!

No comments: