Saturday, January 31, 2009

Our last day in Athens was another laid back affair. Our one mission for the day was to make it up Lykkavittos, a steep hill that juts out in the middle of the city. That was much easier to find than the Archaeological Museum yesterday since you can pretty much see the hill from wherever you are in the city and once you are near it all you have to do is make sure you continue to increase your elevation. All the food has not been good to us this last two weeks so we were pretty worn out on the top. No worries though, we just sat and enjoyed the view while poking around in the cacti and giant aloe vera plants.

Me and my pigeon

On the way back down, among the giant aloe

The people we met at the hostel that night were annoying us so we took off to find a nice dinner for Jenna's last night in town. The place we sat at was smack in the middle of the Plaka but had good food and live music to complement our cynical conversation of everything that annoyed us most about Americans and tourists in general. We got lost on our way back to the hostel, quite the accomplishment considering all we have to do is follow the pedestrian path and keep the Acropolis on our right. Jenna went to bed and Seth and I sat on a bench in front of the Acropolis and talked about traveling and how awesome it is.

Some cool graffiti

Now I'm in a bus headed to Thessaloniki , the first leg of my long backtracking journey through the Balkans. Jenna is off back home and Seth and I will be catching the morning train to Skopje tomorrow. I'm already trying to pick out the meals I want to eat while I'm in Skopje, delicious things that I can't get anywhere else... or at least not for this cheap!

I think I'm going to go insane... "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" is playing on repeat in our bus and I'm about ready to jump out and thumb it the rest of the way to Thessaloniki.

A blur of tractors that are blocking the main highway of Greece and the border crossings

No comments: