Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Woke up early again today but at least I was mostly packed except for my missing black jacket - which turned up in the end. Our last Irish breakfast was just as delicious as before and I know I'm going to start making it in New Zealand and even when I finally return home. Toast and sausages and black pudding and rashers and coffee, mmm. I don't have much to say about actually leaving Ireland because it all went so smoothly. We left appropriately early, there were no problems with baggage or the flight and even Customs in Vienna was just a brief check of the passports and a big stamp. It was very eerie and I suppose I just expected something bad would happen with meeting up with my friend Julia. But nothing did! Christi and I got the right train and met Julia right on the platform and she navigated our way through trains and trams to her house where her mother had a delicious ham and noodle casserole type dish ready for us. Julia's house is amazing, it honestly fits her so well. There are a bunch of her paintings on the walls and so many old, antique things on shelves and against the walls all over the place. Also, her mom has a black and white thing so nearly everything from the dishes to the floors to the plethora of clocks on the kitchen wall are all done up in black and white. It's great to be here in Vienna and I'm not at all bothered by the German; I think Paris prepared me for these non-English speaking places. It is odd to hear Julia because she hardly spoke German while in Homer and now she is all the time!

No comments: